Odesk is one of the best freelance job platforms that connects freelancers with employers worldwide. The company has been around for many years and is a trusted medium for both parties.
They offer quality, speedy support and superb functionality.
How oDesk works
Joining oDesk is easy. All you have to do is:
- Go to www.odesk.com and click on join.
- Complete your basic information and follow the prompts to verify your account.
- Set up your profile.
- Complete the oDesk Readiness test.
Before you can become an active oDesk contractor (freelancer) you have to pass a very basic readiness test in open-book format.
Once approved, you have access to hundreds, if not thousands of job listings in a range of categories, consisting mainly of writing, research, development and engineering.
Based on client (employer) preference, the job will be fixed price or hourly and they will have a proposed budget. When you apply for hourly jobs, you can propose an hourly rate that suits your level of experience and skill. Clients can then offer you a contract and you can accept or decline it.
The system automatically handles all the financial activities, until Mondays when it timelog review.
All monies (in US$) owed to the freelancer are released about 4-5 days later and the freelancer can then choose from a range of withdrawal options, including Paypal, Payoneer and bank transfer.
Click here to find out about payment options for South African residents.
Important Notes About oDesk:
- You may choose to download the oDesk activity tracker software if you choose.
- If you provide contact details to employers to contact you and transact outside of oDesk, your account will be deleted.
- oDesk offers a rating and feedback system, which can be used by clients to publicly rate you. This is a valuable tool to showcase your level of competence and customer care.
- Clients may contact you via your profile to offer you jobs for which you have not applied.
- You can be hired for once off, short term or ongoing projects.
- You can build an online project portfolio on oDesk.